Brain Takes Break, Imagination Takes Over

My horoscope today:
You can be your own relentless slave driver as the Moon joins taskmaster Saturn, encouraging you to stick to your agenda. But happiness won't come from forcing your activities into a carefully prescribed day. Once you let go of your old schedule, you may be ready to join in the fun. If someone offers you an opportunity to do something very cool, just say "yes."
I have been my own slavedriver the past week, doing little but work, eat, read and sleep. I've been getting acquainted with software I used last year, GoLive, and learning the new version of PhotoShop and my overtaxed brain has been trying to grasp the lingo in the online manuals, the hardcopy books, the discussion groups... it's English, but none of the words mean what they used to mean. Like stitching, healing and vectors and slices...

Anyway, it's Sunday and I thought I'd indulge in a bit of fun. The Capt is burned out on lugging his equipment down to the Captain's Club every Sunday to play, in terrible acoustics, music he's not really interested in. He's a jazzman at heart. But I'm going to wander down there this afternoon and see if my amigos Jesse, Jesús and Omar are there with their guitars, maybe sing a couple of songs with Kak and Steve. And continue my search for a guitar teacher...Oh, did I mention that? My friends Ale and Alma are also interested in learning, so we might be able to start a class.

The Capt and I don't actually talk much lately. He's off in his room, I'm in mine, both doors shut to keep in the AC. We Chat a lot. So he sends me this info over iChat, on solar-powered boats. I love the idea of not having a noisy, filthy, dangerous, polluting gas-powered outboard on the dinghy. We used to have a dink with a little electric trolling motor, very quiet and agile but not much power and I kept hoping something with a little more oomph could be developed. Solar panels could be the perfect answer! You need shade, right? Solar panels need sun and should be installed overhead, right?

Here are a couple of solar boats he came up with, one dinghy-size, one big enough to serve as a small water taxi. How cool is this?

You'll notice both vessels are built with two almas like catamarans, for stability. Our Livingston dinghies are both made the same way. The Capt is thinking the best batteries for the job would be the ones used for rechargeable electric scooters. I'd just say "yes!" to this idea...



This is not new outer-space technology we should have to wait decades for. A 93-foot electric boat was operating in France in 1905. And we've been using solar power on our boat since 1998!