Chrys Page: 'Have You Opened Your Gifts Yet?'


Chrys Page may be the most inspiring person I've never met: she's my age and still singing professionally and recording. She has coached more than 500 singers and now I've just found out she starting blogging in June! And though we've never met in person, I feel a bond with her. After decades in LA, she now lives in Corpus Christi, where I grew up. (She grew up in New York City!) Maybe it's my imagination, but I even think we look alike. And she doesn't think it's too late to open my gift and use it.

Here's what Chrys says about 'Why We Are Here:'
I believe we human beings come into this world each endowed with certain gifts. Some of us discover very early on what those gifts are, and for some of us, they can take a lifetime to reveal themselves. While others may never find them, many will discover their gifts in the latter period of their earthly experience and wonder why it took them so long to see them...

One thing IS certain though, and it is that every one of us DOES have gifts, and from my view, our only job on earth is to use them for good.
Visit her website, "Sing Your Life," which is where I first got to know her, and see what she has to offer, even if you don't think you can sing a note.

And on that note: I went by myself to the Captain's Club this afternoon, something I'd normally never do. A bar is the last kind of place you'd find me, but Open Mike Sunday at the CC is not your usual watering hole scene. It's a place you can go to try out new songs, blend your voice with others, show some support with your applause. Kak invited me to do a couple with her, Jesse the guitarist accompanied me on three of my favorite Spanish songs and even harmonized with me (what a rush!), everyone joined in on a riotous version of Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz" and I got a promise from Jesse that he'd give me some Spanish style guitar lessons. Al gave me a pep talk that amounted pretty much to "Just do it."

Note to myself: next Sunday, take the tambourine.