False Evidence Appearing Real



FEAR is an acronym in the English language for "False Evidence Appearing Real"
Travel alerts, swine flu reports and news stories about violent crimes in Mexico have all taken their toll on the tourism industry which is the largest legitimate source of income in the country. Locally, a group of businesspeople calling themselves Sonora Is Safe has organized in an attempt to counteract some of the bad press, with a website (SonoraIsSafe.com) and a free live music series to be launched this weekend here in San Carlos. Blues and jazz on my favorite beach—what's not to like!? They'll be raffling off restaurant dinners, hotel weekends, dolphin encounters, quad rentals and spa packages, too. I never win these things, but hope springs eternal. Their posters say, "Don't let inaccurate information in the press ruin your vacation." The website extols the local attractions but also wisely includes travel tips for making your vacation safer.

I'm not deluding myself. For every person who swears life in Mexico is perfectly safe, there's probably someone who can recount some incident in which they or someone they know was robbed or burgled or worse.

All I know is my own history. I lived in Northern California more than 40 years. In San Francisco on my way to night class I was knocked down by a mugger who stole my purse, which contained my final exam. In San Rafael someone broke into my car and took my purse while I was lugging a basket of laundry and a baby into the laundromat. In Sausalito my houseboat was burgled, and my new stereo system taken. In Petaluma, I was victim of a midnight home invasion, with guns aimed at our heads and a couple of frightful hours while the thieves searched the house for everything of value. There's more, but these are the incidents that particularly outraged me.

I've lived here in San Carlos year-round for three years and have sailed the coast and visited places as far south as Barra de Navidad since 1997. My only losses in Mexico have been due to my own negligence: wallets left behind in public places a couple of times. No one has threatened me, swindled me or given me any reason to feel unsafe. Have I just been lucky? If that's the case, the Capt has also been lucky, as well as just about everyone I know.

So Friday I think I'll take a picnic and go dancing on the beach, maybe buy a couple of raffle tickets, snap some pictures and invite my friends. It's for a good cause.

The hens they all cackle, the roosters all beg,
But I will not hatch, I will not hatch.
For I hear all the talk of pollution and war
As the people all shout and the airplanes roar,
So I'm staying in here where it's safe and it's warm,
And I WILL NOT HATCH!

Shel Silverstein