Wild again, beguiled again

This house has been somewhat silent, music-wise, for the past couple of weeks. The daily detritus (derived from the Latin deterer, meaning "wear away") has been distracting. But now I've been beguiled again and I ask myself how I let it slip away.

Some challenges are involved. The Capt rashly volunteered us to play a July 4th party, and we've been pawing through our best songs, trying to put together a set. Began practicing some of our favorites, driven by a deadline. And our landlord called us, inviting us to a reunion of the group of musicians and singers he used to perform and tour with, 30 years ago. Suddenly, life is filling up with music again, at least for a couple of weeks.

My horoscope today:
…it's more important to stay in the present moment and handle each situation as it arises, rather than thinking about what you might have to do tomorrow.

We joined our landlord's group last night for a rehearsal, and some of my favorite people showed up at his house. Juan, an operatic tenor with hundreds, if not thousands, of Spanish songs filed in his head. Blanca, who has a sweet alto and the warmest smile I ever saw. Lolita, my Spanish tutor and singing coach, who sings duets with me. Julia, who loves politics and belting out boleros with all the dramatic flourishes. Last night we sat at the big round table in my landlord's kitchen and sang, swapped jokes (not many of which I was able to understand) and caught up with each others' lives.

I've gotten somewhat better at expressing myself with my limited Spanish volcabulary, but comprehension is still my weak point. After a couple of hours my head was aching with the effort of translating, but the warmth and humor of this group came through the language barrier and made me feel welcome.

Tonight, I'll take my camera to the reunion and make myself useful. Sing a few songs with Lolita. And maybe take along some aspirin for the headache.