President Obama is a One Percenter

Brothers and Sisters, Peace be with you.

As you know, I prefer to look at political issues affecting the practice of the faith or the welfare of the Nation, rather than speaking about specific candidates. However, some words said on last night debate caught my attention. I want to comment on them. Here they are:
ROMNEY: Just going to make a point. Any investments I have over the last eight years have been managed by a blind trust. And I understand they do include investments outside the United States, including in — in Chinese companies.

Mr. President, have you looked at your pension? Have you looked at your pension?

OBAMA: I’ve got to say…

ROMNEY: Mr. President, have you looked at your pension?

OBAMA: You know, I — I don’t look at my pension. It’s not as big as yours so it doesn’t take as long.

ROMNEY: Well, let me give you some advice.

OBAMA: I don’t check it that often.

ROMNEY: Let me give you some advice. Look at your pension. You also have investments in Chinese companies. You also have investments outside the United States. You also have investments through a Cayman’s trust.
. "My pension is not as big as yours" the President said. Why would he say that? It struck me as a class warfare argument; it told me that the President doesn't want to remind us he has a juicy pension and he'll never want for nothing. As soon as he's retired, he will hit the mashed potatoes circuit and make as many millions as Romney had.
The thing is, President Obama has a pension while many Americans don't; the President is set for life, while many Americans aren't. President Obama is a "One Percenter", as much as Romney is. The President is more worried about dispelling the notion that he's also a rich man, than addressing a serious issue.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a pension too - a 401K - that doesn't contain millions, but I don't keep it in the Cayman Islands either. What I would like every American to have is the opportunity to have a larger pension too, because Social Security is not going to be enough in the future. social Security is not, nor was ever conceived as a retirement plan. Too bad neither candidate explored this issue, though.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad