We be stylin'

Once in a while, there's some good news online. So it was that yesterday, the New York Times offered an article about this year's minimizing of makeup: You Can Fall Out of Bed and Look Good. 

At last the world has caught up with my non-style. What took them so long?

Stiff coiffures are out, bed-hair is in. You might not be as avant-garde as the model shown here, from a British hairdressers' website.  But you get the idea. Sleek is so passé, dahlings.

I tie up my long hair (too cheap to get it cut every six weeks) in an untidy knot on top of my head when I step into the shower. Suddenly that's the new look! I can just leave it that way. I hate hairspray anyway.

Precisely-applied makeup is out. Put away all those applicators, wands, liners and brushes, and use fingertips for a smudged look. Hey, smudged is me all over!

Lipstick should look like you've been sucking on a strawberry popsicle. Maybe next we'll go for bright red tongues, too, like the Rolling Stone logo. Fashion should be fun, after all!

Foundation should only be used on those under-eye circles and other imperfections; the rest of the face should be naked. Wonderful! The bottle should last a lot longer that way.

"Eyebrows should not be trendy," the stylists announce. I feel for all the ladies who have been going to beauty shops to have their brows tweaked. My neglected ones are now the "in thing."

They may have to pass on that eyebrow trend here in Mexico; too many ladies have tweezed their natural brows away and gone with the penciled look. The style has been referred to as "Eyebrows by Sharpie." Some of them look downright scary, which may be intentional: it's meant to get across the idea the wearer is a force to be reckoned with. Don't mess with this mujer.

I'm going to bask in this trend toward imperfection while I can. For sure the pendulum will swing the other way in a few months and everyone will be back to striving for perfection, every hair in place. Then we'll get sick of that and go natural again.

But I'll just be the same me through it all. I'm no slave to fashion. I only ride that carousel horse when it comes my way.