Chocolate and The Moze

I can't let this day get away from me without sharing the news. Today is not only National Chocolate Cake Day, but also Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's birthday. This means, of course, that you might want to celebrate Wolfie's birthday with a nice big chocolate cake. Mmmmmm. I'm sure our boy would approve.

We chocoholics owe our gratitude to Dr. James Baker, for making it all possible. In 1764, he figured out how to make cocoa powder from cocoa beans using two millstones.

Mozart was born Jan. 27, 1756, so he may have been around when the first chocolate cake was served to the Emperor's court. Hope so!

Lacking a whole cake, I'm going to have a cup of tea and munch a little Trader Joe's Pound Plus bittersweet dark chocolate. My absolute favorite. You can have the Godiva, Ghiarardelli and those other pricey ones. We have to drive eight hours to lay our hands on this stuff, so we make it last.

Now if I can just find a copy of my all-time favorite movie, "Amadeus."

Photo: Tom Hulse as Mozart in a still from the 1984 film "Amadeus," from a play written by Peter Shaffer  which was based on an 1897 one-act opera by Nikolai Rimsky-Korshakov, Mozart and Salieri, which is in turn based on an 1830 drama of the same name by Alexander Pushkin.