A dream of Crystal City, Virginia

Brethren, I greet you in the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I’ve been experiencing such vivid dreams of late. I find it cathartic remembering and writing them down, and even sharing them with a wider audience. Here’s one I had last night.

Crystal City, Virginia
I was in Crystal City, Virginia, in a place I’ve been often, colloquially referred to as “The Underground.” It’s a shopping mall built around a very long hallway extending several city blocks at street level, but mostly “under” the skyline of this corporate enclave near the Pentagon.
Crystal City Undeground - but bereft of people
In my dream, the hallway was packed with people going in both directions, so packed that it was difficult to walk and navigate. Most people I faced stared vacantly ahead. I was trying to make headway when a young man with black hair that fell to his neck passed me without seeming difficulty. I didn’t see his face. He was loudly praying the rosary and held one lifted on his right hand. I reached for the one I always carry with me, remembered that it was Thursday and had some trouble recalling the mysteries assigned for today – I always have troubled recalling the mysteries assigned to each day, except for Sunday’s. I started saying the Apostles’ Creed.
My rosary, the one I always carry.
I followed the young man and the stream of people thinking that they would go where I wanted to go. I went through a door and found myself outside. Route US 1 (Jefferson-Davis Highway) was at my right where it should’ve been. But I was perplexed and frustrated, because I didn’t want to exit the Underground. I turned to look back (US 1 is now to my left) and there wasn’t anybody else. The door I had come out from had blended with others along the wall of the high-rise before me and I was unable to find it in order to reenter the Underground. At the top of one of the buildings was a long sign advertising the building as a Doubletree Hotel. (In the real Crystal City there isn’t one, at least not along Route 1 that I can consciously recall).

End of dream.

I think I understand part of it – and it’s not that I must stay at a Doubletree! Yes, I follow the mass of people who lives "underground" and then follow a mysterious man - an angel? a projection of myself - in praying the rosary and then "into the light", where I actually pine to return into the underground existence, but can't. Then I see a sign for needed "rest" - the hotel, which is not really there, and where I've never spent one night. Ancient and modern symbols mixed together. Intriguing.