A song for a taco

Wednesday we played at JJ's, a local outdoor restaurant known for its fish tacos. It wasn't the first time live music had been performed at JJ's, there are always wandering minstrels coming in to do a couple of songs for pesos. But this time we set up as a band, with two guitars and three singers. We had the usual tableful of drunken geezers front and center, plus various familiar faces. A techie friend showed up and stayed for the evening, and by the end of the evening he had volunteered to be our new sound man, a huge bonus.

It was a good place for me to break in a set of seven songs, except that by the time I got started, I was soaking wet. The humidity that night made it feel like a sauna, and the only fan was broken so that it continually drooped, cooling knees but little else. I have threatened to show up in a bathing suit and sarong next Wednesday. The guys complained now and then, but didn't really seem to mind as much as I did.
Photos: We all eventually looked like we'd gone swimming in our clothes, but the guys didn't let the heat spoil their fun. JJ's in the center, wearing his famous apron that says "Many have eaten here...few have died."

Then last night we were at the Fiesta Hotel palapa bar, and conditions were considerably improved, thanks to a breeze that came up from the bay. My set went well, especially when Leslie added her harmony to a couple of songs, and though I forgot lyrics a few times, I was able to finesse past my bloopers to the point that only my cohorts were aware of them (I hope). They are so patient with me! It makes me want to practice more and do better next time.