“It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to make music in your name, O Most High”

Brethren, the first psalm from today’s Morning Prayer moved me in a special way, considering my place and circumstances. I want to share it with you:

Ant. 1 You have filled me with gladness, Lord, I will sing for joy at the works of your hands, alleluia.

Psalm 92
Praise of God the Creator
Sing in praise of Christ’s redeeming work (Saint Athanasius).

It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
to make music in your name, O Most High,
to proclaim your love in the morning
and your truth in the watches of the night,
on the ten-stringed lyre and the lute,
with the murmuring sound of the harp.

for the work of your hands I shout with joy.
O Lord, how great are your works!
How deep are your designs!
The foolish man cannot know this
and the fool cannot understand.

Though the wicked spring up like grass
and all who do evil thrive,
they are doomed to be eternally destroyed.
But you, Lord, are eternally on high.
See how your enemies perish;
all doers of evil are scattered.

To me you give the wild ox’s strength;
you anoint me with the purest oil.
My eyes looked in triumph on my foes;
my ears heard gladly of their fall.
The just will flourish like the palm tree
and grow like a Lebanon cedar.

Planted in the house of the Lord
they will flourish in the courts of our God,
still bearing fruit when they are old,
still full of sap, still green,
to proclaim that the Lord is just.
In him, my rock, there is no wrong.

Commentary.  Though I don’t necessary disagree with St. Athanasius, I must say that this is one of those psalms that are perfect to be prayed while in a war zone, as this psalm originally was in all probability. In war one gets to know oneself much better, recognizing with glaring clarity the enemy without, and the enemy within. The Lord promises to those who ware faithful to Him, victory over both kinds of enemy. This is also why this psalm fills me with joy and hope.