My stance on the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in the US military

Brethren, recently I had to attend a mass briefing regarding the impending repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” (DADT) policy banning declared homosexuals from serving in the US Armed Forces. You may access one such briefing here. I find these points important and valuable:

  • There Is No Expectation To Change Religious or Moral Views
  • Good Order And Discipline Will Be Maintained At All Times
  • Chaplains have both the right to serve and conduct religious services according to their faith, and a duty to perform or provide religious support.
  • Free exercise of religious expression, within law and policy, remains unchanged
  • Maintain beliefs
  • Discuss concerns with commander/chaplain
  • Treat all with dignity and respect
  • Follow all lawful orders
  • Free exercise of religion and duty to care for all remains unchanged
  • In the context of their religious ministry, chaplains are not required to take actions inconsistent with their religious beliefs
  • Same-sex partner does NOT qualify for benefits (as long as DOMA remains the law of the land)

Given the above assurances, as a military leader, I will support the new policy and back up the law. I do so on the basis of Catholic doctrine as expressed in our Catechism, as follows:

Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,140 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."141 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. They do not choose their homosexual condition; for most of them it is a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

I believe that the key statement here is: “Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided.” Congress has decided that banning homosexual persons to serve openly in the military is a form of unjust discrimination. We may disagree – I in fact do – but my conviction has been defeated in the democratic process and now I must enforce it. In fact, what Congress asks of me is to uphold the law and treat everyone with dignity, which is not too far from accepting homosexual persons “with respect, compassion, and sensitivity as the Church teaches. Therefore, the repeal of DADT does not, by itself, do violence to my core beliefs and adherence to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Now, I am gratified that both Congress and the military services have promised to respect individual conscience and the right of free, religious speech of all military members, because I also pledge that, if someone were to approach me in my individual capacity as a Catholic believer and were to ask me what is my stance regarding homosexual acts, I will not hesitate to repeat that “Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,140 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."141 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.”

Because that’s the Truth, and no sovereign, no man-made law, will ever stop me from proclaiming this Truth. For there is no Love without Truth, and no Truth without Love.

May the Lord grant me the words and wisdom necessary to deal with every situation and person as the need arises, the prudence to recognize His kairos, and may He defend me against those who may seek to trap me, as the Psalmist prayed (Psalm 140):

4 Keep me safe, LORD, from the hands of the wicked;
   protect me from the violent,
   who devise ways to trip my feet.
5 The arrogant have hidden a snare for me;
   they have spread out the cords of their net
   and have set traps for me along my path.

Amen, amen.