Miles out of the comfort zone

It all started when one person formerly involved with our Canine Refuge (where I volunteer) came up with the bright idea of putting on a 5K walk as a fundraiser. I've only even participated in a walk once myself, and have no notion of what is involved in organizing one, not to speak of making money with one. Did I mention that I've somehow been annointed the fundraising chairman for this organization? This is so far out of my comfort zone, I don't know if I'll ever get back.

So here we are, a week from the event, scrambling to get things done. We've had a couple of meetings and some issues have been resolved, but there are dozens more. Did I mention that dogs are coming along on this walk? It's a noncompetitive 5K dog stroll down the main boulevard of town and back, followed by live music, silly dog contests (longest ears?) and—most important—several of our Refuge dogs will be there, sporting Adopt Me vests. I'm praying for a good turnout, an adoption or two, and no dogfights.

The Refuge kennels are full to capacity, with 20 dogs, 14 of them puppies. We visited the dog pound in Guaymas last week and there were two litters of pups in line to be euthanized. Beautiful, bright and, except for two, very healthy. We took them all back to the Refuge, including the two that appeared to have health problems but now seem to be getting better with supplemental feedings. We have no plans to rescue every litter that ends up at the pound. But there we were, there they were with one day left to live, and we couldn't walk out without them. And there are another 20 puppies being fostered here in town, but destined to wind up with us once they've been weaned.

W're calling this event the San Carlos Nuts for Mutts 5K Walk. I'd like to say we have a dandy website to promote it, but our webmaster seems to have endless excuses in spite of the fact that he's being paid to do it. This is particularly annoying since I could have done it myself, using Weebly, as I did for the cooking club. Took me one afternoon to get it online.

I had adopted a puppy myself, which I named Daisy, but plans have changed. The young woman who had fostered Daisy before I took her home emailed me a few days later telling me that if I ever changed my mind, Daisy could come back and would have a permanent home with her. By then my other dog Chica had made it abundantly clear she wasn't happy with the new addition to the family by getting on our bed and peeing on the down comforter, and I was beginning to get seriously stressed. So I emailed G. back and said, "Take her, she's yours." I chalk it all up to my first experience fostering and bonding with puppies, and now I remind myself that I can't keep them all. At present I'm particularly attached to a fuzzy black male named Bear. And so it goes.