Learning to read, talk, think, dream and sing in Spanish


 Art Goddess Angela Hayden created this "Spanish Brainstorming Poster" which has inspired me to start working on one of my own, using the words I get online everyday via email. Of course, I have to also use each new word. "Use it or lose it," they say...

So I'm out in my little garden this morning trimming back the pink oleander hedge which threatens to take over, and translating in my mind how I'll explain to the Jorge the gardener (who'd prune to the ground if I let him)  that I want it to grow taller (quiero más alta el seto vivo)  instead of wider (menos ancho) because I like the shade of a tall hedge but don't want to sacrifice lateral space where I could be growing shade-loving plants.


I do a lot of mental translating, whether it has a purpose, like talking to Jorge, or just playing around in my mind. It's good for the little gray cells, and has become such a habit after five years I couldn't stop if I wanted to. Sometimes I dream in Spanish! The payoff is that I'm finding it easier to make myself understood, and make small talk, which sometimes leads to in-depth conversations with really patient amigos. When I'm on a roll I  just open my mouth and out it comes, más o menos. But it doesn't take long to get stuck, and then I'm left tongue-tied.


My favorite Spanish-language blogger, Alejandra, has stopped posting for the past few months (I miss you, Ale!) But today someone I'd never encountered before commented on my Facebook page and when I followed back to his blog I found that Josepipino62 is bilingual and apparently, like me, appreciates a good cup of coffee. His blog is brand new and I'm only his second follower. Being an hombre muy guapo, I'm sure he'll collect more very soon, mostly female. Reading Spanish blogs is a great exercise in comprehension, plus a chance to write comments that I can only hope will be understood and not be too misleading in their meaning.  I don't mind providing a good laugh, but it would be helpful if they set me straight, once they recover from their hilarity. I'd like to learn something from it.


This afternoon our friend the Mexican guitarist, D, is coming over to play with the Capt and me, and I'm hoping to persuade the guys to help me record a backing track for a Spanish song I'm learning, called "Vivir Sin Aire." The chords are simple and they can make it sound a lot better than I do with my wooden fingers. Once I have it on a disk, I can play rhythm and sing with it. Learning Spanish lyrics is challenge enough without trying to play fancy licks at the same time.


So the Capt is going to bake a batch of cookies and I'll a pitcher of jamaica tea for our guest. But now I've got to go find Jorge and ask him to bring over his carretilla (wheelbarrow) to cart away all these oleander clippings. My yard is looking bigger already!