At a loss for words

What is there to blog about, when the most excitement to be had around here is the opening of the new Sam's Cloob 20 minutes away? Guaymas has hit the big time now. Seriously, in the three days since it opened they've had mobs of shoppers, mostly Mexican. I'm not sure how much buying was being done by private individuals, considering the restaurant-size containers much of the food came in.

To avoid the crowds we went to investigate Sam's at opening time, 7:30am, when it's a lot cooler and quieter, and the building casts a nice shadow over the front parking spaces so we could take the dogs with us. I did get a new electric pencil sharpener, something I've wanted for months. Sacapuntas electricos, is what you look for if you want to buy one: from sacar, to bring out, and punto or point. The Capt was thrilled with his giant bag of pancake mix. But syrup came in a bottle that would probably have served the whole neighborhood for a month, so we passed on that.
The Capt has installed a new door on the music room, so all that's left is glass brick and surface finishing. It was a long hard job, made more complicated when we bought the wrong size door and had to take it back, but he learned a lot in the process and it's going to look splendid when it's finished.


In other news, my tomato plants are all blooming and I'm hoping to start seeing fruit in another couple of weeks. Grape tomatoes, jelly bean tomatoes, sweet and intense. I don't try to grow the big beefsteak ones since I'm using containers. 

Our local exchange library, where I volunteer every Friday, has lost another staff member after she sold her house and packed up to move to Yuma. The upside was that she gave me four houseplants, which I'm going to try to keep alive and flourishing. The day she announced she was leaving, another woman came in and volunteered, a sign our enterprise is blessed by a higher power, wouldn't you say? We'll try to keep it open at least through July, then close until October when the snowbirds start returning.

I've been striking gold at the library in terms of book finds. Just finished the newest Elmore Leonard, found a Cormack McCarthy and a Tony Hillerman I hadn't read, and discovered an early edition of a little-known memoir by a gringa journalist from Boston who married a Mexican, lived in Monterrey and later in Cuernavaca. Elizabeth Borton de TreviƱo's "My Heart Lies South" is one of a series of three memoirs, well worth the read for its details about Mexican culture and values in the 1940s and 50s. Some of the standards and rules are recognizable and still apply, others are only a memory, but many times I found myself beginning to understand concepts that had previously baffled me. Her daunting experience with the 40's-era post office when she was trying to receive a gift package mailed to her from the States made me glad some things have changed.
Hurricane season doesn't begin in earnest for another few weeks, but the first tropical storm advisory for the Pacific was issued last night, but Mark at Ocean Camp, the local weather oracles, is trying to organize a "community-wide education program" so we can learn some emergency preparedness skills from our experience with Tropical Storm Jimena, the worst storm this area has experienced in 40 years. Usually our town doesn't even get rain when it's forecast; we can see clouds and lightning in the distance but precipitation goes elsewhere. We get lulled into thinking nothing can happen here, we go out and enjoy the quickening storm winds and the last thing on our minds is preparedness. "Bring it on," I joked last year as I watched the waves that preceded Jimena's 36 hours of rain.