As the page turns

The boat is safely tucked into a slip in Mazatlan where it'll stay until the winds are favorable for a four-day sail north, probably a month from now. Time to collect the Capt, his two guitars and some other essential things he wants to bring home. He's convinced he's solved the alternator problem, the cooling system is working well and he just needs to replace some batteries. That's nothing new, boats are always in need of new batteries.
The new music room, formerly a patio, has now been roofed over and walled in, a ceiling fan, AC and lights installed. I've emptied a closet and half the bathroom shelves, cooked up some soups and beans to freeze, and cleaned out the minivan. Today I'll wash and vacuum the van, check all its vital fluids and tire pressure, under the supervision of Earl, my car guru. Sofia has had her bath, trim and tick treatment, and Chica will get hers today.


The plan is to leave at first light so I can make as much of the drive as possible in the cool morning, because the air conditioning isn't working, and because I'd like to get there well before dark. I'm taking along a book on tape to shorten those nine long hours. It'll be just me, the dogs and James Lee Burke.


It feels like new chapter is about to begin.