Just because you're paranoid...


 ...doesn't mean nobody's out to get you.


Is it just me, or is everyone getting an unprecedented amount of spam lately? And some of it's a little scary. I LOVE comments. But lately, I'm finding quite a few messages in what looks like Arabic and Asian script, which I initially rejected simply because I doubt any of my readers would understand them. And there was the lurking suspicion the translations might be alarming. If I published it, would I be calling for jihad? Do you know how hard it is to find oriental translators in Mexico?

And even though I have a fairly strict filter on my email, I've been getting more spam there than usual. Of course, the tired old pitches from banks in Nigeria, and letters expressed in overly formal (using Mr. or Mrs. before their names) or affectionate terms ("My dear friend," from someone whose name I don't recognize, for instance).

But today I was especially jolted when I got this email, sent to my business address. I've received one very much like it before, so I didn't take it seriously. But the last name of the sender is very unusual, and it's the name of one of our oldest business clients.  She's one person I would probably be moved to help out. All I'd have to do is call her at her store, and clear this up, but I started wondering if I'm being hacked! The client's name doesn't appear in our publication, only in our database. Was it just a lucky guess, or are the bad guys escalating their strategies? Yikes! I'm starting to get nostalgic for the olden days when all I got was ads promising to enhance body parts I don't have.

Hi, Its me Niki , I really don't mean to inconvenience you right now, I made a little trip to UK and I misplaced my passport and credit cards, please I know this may sound odd, but it all happened very fast. I need to get a new passport, and get on the next available flight home. I've been to the US embassy, they're willing to help, but I'm out of cash and I have minimum access from here. Can you loan me some money and I'll be willing to repay you as soon as I get home. Please reply as soon as you get this message, so I can forward the details as to where to send the funds, you can try reaching me on this number for now, ---------------, I also have an ID to pick the funds up if sent via western union
i will be waiting for responses