Meet Blanche

I had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, in spite of our domestic tsunami. Neighbors invited me for dinner and we all trooped through their magnificent house for a tour. The best part is the huge circular kitchen, built around a vast round island (how do they clean the middle?) They said I was welcome to come back and take photos of their spectacular view, which kept me mesmerized all afternoon.



Most of the week I was in Arizona, where I bought a Nissan Quest minivan on Craigslist, part of a scheme for doing some traveling with my girls next year. Next Year?! Look out, 2010 is almost upon us!


I decided the best antidote for the Christmas blues was to concentrate on a plan or two, get out my Atlas and plot a few courses for expeditions in Mexico and later when it thaws out, the US. I have two sisters and a mother* to visit, friends in the Northwest, and antique store owners who have never seen our map guide.


The Quest is the most scaled-down van I've ever seen, hardly bigger than an ordinary sedan, and just as easy to drive. The rebuilt engine has only 35,000 miles on it, so for a 1999 it has plenty of years left. No serious dings on the body, the only paint scratches are on the back bumper, and inside it looks almost new. The plan is to pull out the middle two seats and install a small bed, maybe with storage space underneath, since there's no trunk.


I think I'll name her Blanche. We'll get by with the kindness of strangers and a little help from our friends.


*About Mom: not only is she now able to take half-mile walks around the lake at the assisted living home where she lives, but she can read again! My sister gave her some of my old letters from decades ago. Imagine that: my sis actually kept my old letters. I feel like giving her a big hug.