First Mate no more


It has been a time of beginnings and endings. The last day we worked on our antique guide and with huge relief sent it off to the printer (when this photo was taken). Signing the papers for the first home we ever bought together. The last day we spent in the duplex we rented for more than three years. The first night in the new condo, first meal cooked in the new kitchen. And then yesterday, in a matter of seconds, our 20-year marriage came to an end. One day we were telling ourselves how our new home was going to improve our life. The next day the Capt decided to move back to the duplex and out of my life.  Nov. 11 was a private anniversary for us, Dismasting Day—marking the day our first boat, Pollo del Mar,  lost her mast in a squall in San Pablo Bay. Quite a coincidence, because I'm feeling at the moment like I've lost MY mast, my motor has conked out and I'm drifting in some dangerous currents.

Most bloggers seem to avoid discussing the dynamics of their personal relationships. I don't plan to dwell on mine, either, other than to say that apparently I won't be posting anymore sailing adventures on the S/V "Bliss."

I think I need a timeout.