Reason #3 for being an early bird


My cost for all this produce was 80 pesos ($6.03USD) at the early morning market in Guaymas

This week there was a post on Viva San Carlos, the local forum, about an earlybird produce market in Guaymas, 20 minutes from here. I persuaded my Guaymas friend Ale to join me and we checked it out, mostly out of curiosity. It's two blocks off 20th Street, a stone's throw from the mercado. But the catch is that it's open from 5-7am.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to get up at 5 on a regular basis to stock up on veggies and fruit, but it might be worth the effort: this produce was so fresh, not at all picked-over, and cheap! I got all this for eighty pesos, or $6.03 at today's exchange rate. I have to add to that the cost of gas, but I drive a frugal car and anyway, this was research. Next time I'll do more advance planning and buy for the whole week.

Other options range from tianguis three times a week in Guaymas, Tony's veggie stand 11am-6pm every day but Sunday, the big Ley supermarket, or the smaller markets here in San Carlos. But even without crunching the numbers to compare them item by item, I'm convinced this early street market is the best deal yet. No crowds, friendly service and refreshing cool morning breezes (Reason #2). And I can always go home and have a nap.