A piña colada morning

The world is a very pleasant place before dawn, at least once I get my eyes propped open. My two little furry alarm clocks have been very punctual in rousing me early, usually around 5, but today they decided to push the envelope and go for 4:30. I slipped on a light shift and stepped outside, sniffing the air like I was just another one of the dogs. A gentle breeze brought a subtle briny scent from the bay and the first bird of the morning was warming up for his solo on the balcony of the Texans' guest house next door.

I've been letting the girls run free in the morning, since we live at the end of a quiet road and they have an open field to explore. They don't usually go far and almost always come right back when I whistle. But this time, though Sofia ambled back as soon as she saw me, Chica had disappeared. I whistled a couple of times and then saw her darting ahead in the darkness about a hundred yards away. And out of the corner of my eye I saw what I first took for a cat, but no, cats don't carry their tails quite like that. A microsecond later, an all-too-familiar acrid odor filled the air. Chica came rushing home looking sheepish. Before allowing her inside, I bent down and gave her the sniff test. Caramba! She must have gotten a shot right in the face. This is the fourth time she's been skunk-bombed, and I'm starting to rethink the "free run in the morning" routine.

I'm just grateful it doesn't take gallons of tomato juice to remove skunk odor from a dog. Her usual piña colada-scented shampoo did the job, gracias a Díos. Around here, tomato juice comes in little cans, for Bloody Marys, not in gallon jugs for stink removal. At the Purely for Pets blog, I found a recipe for another solution using hydrogen peroxide, just in case the shampoo didn't work. Caution must be taken not to get it into the eyes, though.


I also looked up "skunk" in the diccionario and found two Spanish words for it: mofeta (f) and zorillo (m). Maybe a female skunk is a mofeta, and a male is a zorillo. One sure thing: I'm not about to investigate which this one was!