Back in Home Port

The Capt is home safe! He arrived by taxi from the bus station at almost midnight last night, after a week of struggle and strife on the road. Our VW Westfalia gave him no end of trouble in spite of a couple of days tinkering in a San Blas RV park—hemorrhaging oil, balking on hills and generally acting like it was suffering from a terminal disorder. So a trip that should have taken three days took six.

His problems would have been considerably worse if not for my beloved blogging buddies in Mazatlan. When he called to tell me he was limping up the toll road from San Blas, I emailed Nancy and Paul for help, and I couldn't have asked for a more helpful response. Having towed the van the last 100+ miles to Maz, the Capt was able to park the Westie at their place, until we can get back there with our pickup to tow it the rest of the way home. And Tufesa allowed him to travel with several large bags and bundles, at no extra charge (another reason we really like this bus company).

For your kindness and hospitality, thanks so much, Nancy and Paul.

And the good news just keeps coming. I had taken my Ford back to the shop three times trying to get my brake lights to function properly. This morning the Capt was able to fix it so I don't have to drive with the brake lights on... Now they only show up when I use the brake, like they're supposed to!

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates vision for tomorrow.


Melody Beattie