Kicking the purse habit

I gave up sugar, dairy, cookies, ice cream, late night dining. Thirty years ago I gave up cigarettes. Now it's purses.

When we first moved to Mexico, I was much more fearful of crime than I am now. In the States I have been mugged, swindled, burgled (from my car, house and boat) and terrorized by a home-invasion robbery complete with guns. Here in San Carlos, after three years, I've yet to be victimized. I'm not the sort of person who wants to live in a gated community, never drives at night, regards all Mexicans as potential thieves.

But that doesn't mean I'm oblivious. The local online forum, Viva San Carlos, reports that Saturday night a gringa was mugged outside a popular local bar by a young Mexican. He knocked her down and took her purse, which was found nearby yesterday morning, minus the credit cards and cash. No weapons were displayed and she wasn't hurt, just furious. She had stepped outside to wait for her husband to pay their bill, and was only alone for about three minutes. The message was that people need to be more careful at night, women especially, and that purses should probably be left at home. The latter, I took most seriously.

I carry a brown leather backpack, which I usually sling over one shoulder rather than wearing it on my back. It holds my wallet, keys, driver's license, sunglasses, ATM card, lip balm, hairbrush, cell phone, a small notebook, pens, passport, FM-3 and my camera. I have other bags, but whenever I switch I usually leave something out that turns out to be crucial, so I've toted the same one now for over a year.

I could tuck a few bills, some ID, and a housekey in a little purse that hangs from my neck on a cord, and leave the camera at home. As long as the evenings are cool I could wear a favorite shirt of mine that has a half-dozen hidden pockets. But so many times I've gone without the camera, only to see a once-in-a-lifetime shot. Besides, a camera can be a good deterrent when it's aimed at thieves and extorting policemen (who are also accosting travelers in Hermosillo). Cell phone cameras are also handy for that purpose.

(Recently I bought a cell phone with a camera, but neither the Capt nor I can get it to upload photos to my Mac. And the girl at the TelCel kiosk says it can't be exchanged for another brand. But maybe I should carry it around anyway, for brandishing purposes.)

The concept of not carrying a purse seems liberating, yet when I do go out purseless I feel somewhat…um…naked. It's interesting how much of my identity is tied up in that leather bag.

I've never understood how men can get around without one, even if they don't need a hairbrush and lip balm. The Capt has even forsaken his wallet, settling for a Ziplock sandwich bag…"It's waterproof!" he pointed out.

Ziplock bags seem like the last resort, but I've never bought into the idea of purses as high fashion. The idea of blowing big bucks for a Prada or a Gucci sounds silly to me.

To me, this orange Versace bag doesn't scream "High Fashion!" It screams "Steal me!"

The purse issue is on my mind because I'll be out alone a bit more in the evening, on the streets of Guaymas, coming home from choir and English school. As a child, I was constantly fed the notion that, being female, I'm a potential victim, although I was never taught how to defend myself.

Recently an acquaintance mentioned to me that a judo class might be starting here in San Carlos, and I said I'd be interested. Imagine the surprise of some young ladrĂ³n , if I were to deliver a couple of well-aimed judo chops!