Back on Track


I've broken out of my cocoon, and though my wings are still a bit soggy, I'm beginning to fly… a little.

We had a very enjoyable, sometimes hilarious Spanish conversation class at Lolita's house yesterday, and afterward I agreed to join her church choir again for El Día de San Fernando, coming up next month. I'll go to her house on Wednesdays, have a private singing session with her, and then the choir will trickle in and we'll practice. I've missed the people I sang with at Christmas, and the immersion experience (out of the ten members, only Lolita and the tenor speak any English) will be good for me.

I also talked myself into finally starting a weekly writers' group, with a little help from my friend Julie. We'll be meeting on Monday afternoons, so I'm going to have to come up with writing of some sort every week… and no, the blog isn't adequate for that, although there's a lot of material here. I'm not a writing teacher, but what I have to offer is the loan of quite a few writers' books, some editing help and some encouragement.

There's also an ongoing English class in Guaymas, two sessions a day, and I've volunteered to help with at least one session Thursday afternoons. The format is fairly relaxed, so we just go in and have conversations with students of all ages. I'm drawn to this sort of class because I want to work with motivated students looking to improve their job prospects, instead of spoiled ninõs who only show up because their parents pay for private school, who have no real interest in learning English.

Then there's a yoga class I'd be silly not to participate in, since they're all friends, I desperately need the exercise, and it's free. What's not to like? I won't be able to do the standing and balancing poses right away, but I can at least get into the mat work.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to hear from cruising friends who'll be passing through San Carlos to put their boats in dry storage before heading back to the States, and I've invited quite a few of them for dinner.

These past two weeks of solitude and inactivity have taught me some things about myself. That I need other people. That when I've isolated myself too long, it's difficult to re-engage with the world; even driving and talking on the phone become challenging. That even brief time spent with friends elevates my whole day. That being by myself for too long makes me weird.