Loving Cup Rice Pudding Bar

Ambling down Polk Street in San Francisco last week, I found Loving Cup, a relatively new rice pudding bar.


Um, rice pudding bar? Yes! Who knew? Walk into a well-lit, welcoming small space where the lady behind the counter takes you through the flavors of the day. Loving Cup features five keen flavors of rice pudding daily, with a full rotation of about thirty. Holy cow. In my short stay in SF, I tried the pistachio, lemon-vanilla, and pumpkin... but was sinfully tempted by the chocolate-thin-mint, mango, mocha, and Madagascar vanilla. There’s certainly a flavor for every mood -- and they’re all light, healthy, and delicious.


Loving Cup is -- in a word -- dreamy. I’d love love love to see one in Houston. But could this concept even work here? It would *rule* to get beyond the ubiquitous frozen yogurt, but we’d need to find a health-conscious area with plenty of foot traffic.

So my guess is... No. Or am I just being pessimistic?

A girl can dream. [Sigh]