Anvil Bar and Refuge

Last weekend I finally made it to Anvil, where owner Bobby Heugel mixed us up some sensational afternoon cocktails. Anvil -- which you probably have heard of by now -- replaces the lowly Daiquiri Factory on the Westheimer bend (How’s that for a trade up?) and has been collecting disciples left and right.

I have to admit that I’m on the A-train now, too. This place -- and I mean everything about it -- is impressive. Anvil is owned and run by a team of folks focused on the dying art of the cocktail. While the Prohibition-era drinks are the main draw, Anvil also boasts a beer selection of 40+ (mostly Belgians and microbrews), along with a few choice wines.

Sound overwhelming? Get a rec from Behind-the-Bar Bobby, who gave us an on-the-spot history of the margarita, plus a nice primer on cocktails through the ages. Does such an in-depth understanding of booze translate to the cocktails, themselves? All I know is that my Pimm’s Cup was plain awesome.


Owner Bobby Heugel skillfully slips the egg white into what will eventually become...


A pisco sour. Mmmmmm!


Anvil Bar and Refuge -- 1424 Westheimer