The Sweet and Bittersweet

After several slow news days, everything broke loose yesterday, most of it sweet, a little of it bittersweet.

Chica, Sofia and I had a stroll along the malecon while we waited for Cesareo the lock whisperer to open so I could duplicate my house key. It was a spectacular morning, more like April than January. Cesareo never showed up, but I was in such a good mood I didn't care.

Back home, the email was flowing steadily, interspersed with messages from the Capt on the chat line. Julie the book facilitator had referred me to a writer looking for editing, so I was back and forth with them, and offered a free sample of my editing work on a chapter. By the end of the day I had received the chapter, but the author was trying to decide whether to let her daughter do the job for free instead. You get what you pay for, I told myself.

Julie offered me a place at the writers' workshop this weekend, in exchange for some editing on her already-published book. Chances are I'll meet some other writers who could use a gentle, red-pencil-wielding hand.

My friends Cynthia and Mike had invited Brenda and me over to get us up to date on their plans and say our goodbyes. They've already located a place to stay in Salem, OR and Cyn has been busy sending out her resume, so I feel reassured that even though they're heading into a region plagued by awful weather, and Mike's health is fragile, they're going to be OK. She's such a take-charge woman, a real inspiration. I'm going to miss her, but thanks to the magic of blogging I'll be able to keep in touch.

Brenda and I then went next door to Lolita's for the Spanish conversation class, which now numbers five gringos, making for a lively hour of chatter about everything from ladrones to mercerias to ostiones.

My friend Francisco dropped by soon after I got home to alert me that a skipper was trying to reach me to talk about renting our vacant mooring. We strolled down to the Captain's Club to talk to Craig, who's living on his boat out in the anchorage. I think Craig was hoping for free rent but it was nice to spend some time with him and his first mate Debbie. Then I had more goodbyes (two in one day!) with Dave and Brian, who are headed back to the States. Dave will be in Australia for a couple of months. Brian said the sweetest thing: "You're welcome in our world anytime." I found out the reason they're always adorned with gorgeous jewelry is because they are gem collectors, with emphasis on opals.

The plan is for me to drive to Hermosillo airport Monday to pick up the Capt at the airport. Then within a few days we will drive the Westfalia south to La Cruz in Banderas Bay. I am so not ready, but at least my summer beach dresses have been washed, and I'm down a pound. Four to go.