A Vast Supply of Time


My horoscope today:
Caution is mixed with anticipation, making you uncertain about your weekend plans. Even if you know what you want, you may be afraid that there's not enough time to do everything -- and you are right. Instead of settling for less, don't try to do it all this weekend. Even if it feels as if your time is running out, there is actually a vast supply of it ahead.

This morning I woke up with a radical thought: What if I just allowed myself to be happy, in the midst of all this planning and packing and anxious "What am I forgetting?"

Tomorrow we set off on an adventure, and along the way there will be reunions with friends I haven't seen for a year or more. Maybe even people I've corresponded with for more than a year but never met. I'll spend time in some of my favorite places: La Cruz, Barra de Navidad, Melaque... and explore some new places I've never seen. I'll have plenty of time to do the editing work I've committed to, curled up with my laptop in the V-berth while we're pounding through the seas, my best pals snuggled up by my side. There'll be whales, dolphins, sea turtles, boobies, and creatures I've never seen, and my camera will get a good workout.

Preparing for this journey of at least two months, I will undoubtedly forget something important that will cause some frustration down the road. Leaving home is always a wrenching experience. my Cancerian homebody soul has been wallowing in anguish. But suppose I just pack away my fears and uncertainty and focus on all there is to look forward to? What could it hurt?