A Posh Place for Pups

I'd seen just about everyone I know suffer from The Cold From Hell, secretly hiding a smug feeling I must be doing something right to have escaped it. Then New Year's Eve (during a round of hugs?), or New Year's Day the bug caught up with me and last night at a small housewarming party in the new apartment of my English teacher friend Richard, the full effects descended on my sinuses, my throat, my head. Rayos!

This means I will have to postpone my evolution in vegetarianism, due to the fact that I believe in the curative powers of chicken soup. Feeling a little guilty, I went out today to buy chicken breasts (only the best), onions and celery, to which I will add brown rice (again, only the best).
Getting outside caused me to feel a little better, and since I had Chica and Sofia with me, I decided to stop at Dog Daze to have a look and inquire about boarding rates.

Yes, folks, this is a playground for dogs

You don't just walk right into this store, you ring the doorbell because there are often a number of canines wandering free. Kristin Knerr, the owner, hurried to open up for me, gently moving aside a German Shepherd, a Shar Pei, a couple of doe-eyed Mexican shorthair mutts and three puppies.

Dog Daze is comprised of a two-room shop full of dog fripperies and necessities, a fenced playground divided for big and little dogs, and a pleasant yard out back surrounded with mural-splashed walls. In terms of cleanliness and attractiveness, it far surpasses a lot of kiddy daycare facilities I've seen. Shiny tile floors, fresh paint all around, murals and other creative touches everywhere. Kristin runs the shop with the help of her daughter and son, and the rest of her relatives have contributed in various ways, financial and otherwise. One of them even bakes dog cookies! It's a true family effort.

Kristin with a few of her fans
Boarding rates are $20 for the first dog, with a 20% discount on the second in any family. Dogs are walked twice a day, and rather than being caged they are allowed to roam free unless the owner specifies otherwise. (Sorry, I forgot to ask how much for grooming, but that's available too.) A cat room is being planned, but for now the dogs have it to themselves.


Like anyone in San Carlos known for loving dogs, Kristin has been the recipient of a few street dogs, dumped overnight with their puppies. So far she has been fortunate in finding homes for them, but "I have to remember I'm boarding dogs, not running a shelter," she said. So, regretfully, she won't accept any more foundlings.

If you're bringing a dog to San Carlos and want boarding or grooming, call Dog Daze at 622-226-0926 or view her website at dogdaze.com

Chica was enjoying the socializing and would have stuck around, but Sofia mistook the shop for a vet's office and headed for the door. Silly girl.

On my way home I stopped at Tony's vegetable stand for my soup ingredients and finally got the shot I've been meaning to get for a couple of years. Tony has taken the street veggie truck to a whole new level, with a covered and concrete-floored space with its own parking lot where you can buy meat and fish, eggs, bread, cheese...you name it. Not the cheapest place in town, but the best.

Not a bad afternoon for somebody who woke up thinking she was at death's door.