Notes of a Fledgling Librarian

It's been a month now since I started volunteering at our local library, and I've yet to check anybody's books out. Originally I was acting out of greed: we volunteers get first pick of any book that comes in. But now I find myself happy to show up every Friday for the companionship of four very amiable women and the chance to learn more about authors, publishing and the latest San Carlos gossip.

I have been assigned the upkeep of the Mystery section, which is challenging enough for me at the moment. People walk in with grocery bags stuffed with books--returns and donations--and usually three-quarters of them are mysteries.

I separate out the returns which bear yellow stickers and put them back on the shelves, unless they're duplicates. Then I start wading through the donations, checking to see if they are indeed mysteries. Sometimes a spy story, true story or a romance will cross the line and resemble a mystery--and if they make the grade I put yellow stickers on the spine, coded with initials for the authors' last names, and shelve them. Mysteries take up the largest space in the library: an L-shaped wall with shelves almost to the ceiling for paperbacks and a long shelf of hardbound books.
I just hate being forced to buy hard-cover books - they take up too much space in our already cramped bookshelves, but more importantly they're also much harder to read. I like reading lying on my back, and since I don't do any sports my muscles have atrophied to the point where holding up a hard-cover book for hours counts as more exercise than I really consider enjoyable.

This little two-room library is part of the Tecalai RV Park's community building, and is possibly the best of its kind on the mainland coast of Mexico, at least as far as I've traveled.

One of the oldest exchange libraries, in Barra de Navidad, was founded by Beer Bob, a recovered alcoholic who donated an entire building to books which were freely traded among locals and cruisers alike. Bob died a few years ago and a couple who live nearby rescued the library, moving it into a downstairs storage room which is too narrow for two normal-size people to pass each other. The thousands of books are definitely worth investigating. Their classification system is not nearly as exacting as ours, but then they're open almost daily, operating on the honor system with scant volunteer help while we have a staff of five working only one Friday a week (sometimes spilling over into Saturday for shelving and maintenance). I did pick up one book that was riddled with wormholes, so I would warn anyone not wanting to contaminate their bookshelf to check out your checkouts.

Another library I visited that was in sad shape was the one near Loreto, in Puerto Escondido, a popular anchorage where almost everyone who sails to Baja passes through at some point. There's a loose organization called the Hidden Port Yacht Club that more or less takes responsibility for it, but the books were kept in a crumbling building I almost hesitated to enter. They were covered in dust, unclassified as far as I could tell, and not very inviting. But then, it's not a wealthy organization; membership dues are only $10 a year, making it possibly the most affordable yacht club in the world.

In contrast is the library at Marina de La Paz, maintained by the Club Cruceros in a small but well-built building, with (I think) at least one volunteer on hand most days during Coffee Hour.

Nancy told me about a library in Mazatlan she says is wonderful, but it was a Sunday, so I missed out on exploring that one. Next time I visit, Nancy, let's make a point of going there, and I'll bring some books to trade.

These libraries, plus the random book exchanges found in bars, marinas, restrooms and coffeehouses where gringos congregate are crucial because there are very few English-language bookstores in all of Mexico, and it's not like you can order from Amazon and have your book within the week.

When I find a good book exchange or library in Mexico and come away with an armful of good books I feel rich. And although they may not have the vast resources of US libraries, they're much more relaxed, less intimidating places to browse. Chatting is not only allowed but encouraged, and you can even bring in your dog as long as he's not pugnacious.

I'll be the first to admit I do far too much reading, having enforced a reading-deprivation week on myself this summer and experiencing profound withdrawal symptoms. But at least I'm not watching TV.