My Favorite Time of Year

In the two weeks while I was in Oklahoma, San Carlos has made its annual transformation from drowsy summertime village to a hotbed of gringo activity. La Liga de Arte started last week, and all the local artists are gathering for drawing and painting workshops on Monday mornings. Exercise classes started today at El Club Deportivo, only a $10 annual membership for five-day-a-week classes--such a deal! The yoga, aerobics and Pilates classes have started up again next to Barracuda Bob's cafe. Rescate is having its annual Welcome Back Gringos margarita party Wednesday night. Espanglish started up their fall season of Spanish classes at their new location out in the Ranchitos.

On the main drag, Beltranes Blvd, gringo geezers in tank tops and ponytails, indulging their inner teenagers, zip by on hefty and noisy quad motorcycles, or putter prudently through town in electric golf carts.

Almost everyone turns up at Tony's veggie stand, where the best produce, meat and home-prepared chiles rellenos, tamales and salsa fresca are sold. Tony suspended his take-a-number system, though I suspect he's going to reinstate it with the brisk business he's had since his fall reopening. I had just paid for my purchases when the delivery man from Ruth and Rudy's bakery elbowed his way in with a tray of whole wheat bread. Back to the end of the line, cradling my loaf still warm from the oven and dreaming of peanut butter and sugar-free apricot jam sandwiches. Since I gave up white flour and sugar my pleasures are simple but intense.

All the cruisers are arriving, mostly from Canada, Washington, Oregon and California, to spend a week or two fixing up their boats at the workyard before heading south. Last Saturday's cruiser swap meet was the biggest one of the season so far, and the Capt scored big time, picking up a couple of items for the boat at desperation prices. Check-ins on the VHF radio Morning Net take considerably longer, and we hear a lot of questions in the Local Assistance category from newbies who have never brought their vessels here before.

This year I have new blogger friends to socialize with, and we had a luncheon get-together at Ale's house in Guaymas with her husband Ulisses, Brenda and Cynthia & Mike. We enjoyed five different shrimp dishes served buffet-style (my favorite, of course, being the one with the fattening sauce), and the conversation was so lively and interesting three hours flashed by before we headed home. Gracias, Ale y Ulisses, por tu hospitalidad y amistad.

Last night's Open Mic at the Captain's Club was packed with recent arrivals, although as usual nobody was really listening to the music. Evie's up the street is offering a Cruisers' Special breakfast for $5USD and live music every evening (we may talk to Martin about playing there). Local favorite Mark Mulligan is having his annual IslandFest at the Hotel Paradiso with all-you-can-eat Mexican dinners. The Viva San Carlos Forum is bulging with new events.

Google map of San Carlos: The anchorage is in the little notch in the center, with San Carlos Marina extending like a finger to the right of it. The most popular beaches, Algodones and Catch 22 are at left. To get to Guaymas, you drive the straight boulevard leading from the center to the left

And the library is open again. This year I'm volunteering, and I'll be spending most of my Friday mornings working at the checkout desk, shelving new arrivals and diving into stack after stack of beguiling books. It's sort of like having a serious sweet tooth and getting to work at the local candy store.

The air is fresh and cool and energizing, although still hot out under the sun. The hurricane season is over, we can stop worrying about 100mph winds and floods. I could do without the burgeoning population, but the snowbirds and cruisers know a good thing when they see it, so I'll just have to share the wealth.

Speaking of sharing, I joined Facebook last night. I'd have done it sooner, but I thought it was mostly for twenty-somethings, and then I got an invitation from someone I've known for 30 years who's older than I am, so I thought it was worth a try. Right away I found several folks I knew, and tracked down a couple of people from the college I attended back in the stone age. Um, wasn't I just saying recently that I was going to have to curtail my social life this month?