Adios Chuy


Chuy

Today I stopped to buy bottled water at the water store and when I asked the manager how her dog was, I got some sad news. Chica's brother Chuy was run over by a truck a month ago.

We had originally adopted identical siblings Chica and Chuy at about six weeks old, on my birthday last year, but within a couple of months we realized we are not a three-dog family. Chuy (named for his voracious chewing habit, although Chuy is actually a Mexican nickname for Jesus) was by far the more aggressive, taking Chica's food and toys, constantly ragging on her, so we started looking for a new home for him.

Irina, who manages the water store, had fallen in love with our older Maltese Sofia and was very disappointed that Sofia would never have puppies. So when the Capt took Chuy to the water store and put him in Irina's arms, she cried.

Every time we stopped to buy water she would go on about how smart he was, how much she loved him. But apparently he wasn't smart enough, or Irina didn't love him enough to keep him out of the street even though it's a Mexican custom to allow animals to roam free. Someone in a truck backed over him.

Irina is heartbroken. She has a boyfriend, too, and "he's still around," she said. "But I hate to say this, I loved my dog more. He was just so easy to live with." Chuy was only 18 months old.