Out of the Clear Blue

Guest post with fantastic photos from our amigo Garth:


I was lucky enough to be invited on a three day trip to Isla Tortuga with my friend Ken on his beautiful 48-foot Pacifica Sportfisher out of San Carlos, Sonora. The island, 56 nautical miles from our home port, is relatively isolated in the Sea of Cortez. As a result sea life abounds. We trolled all the way at about ten knots and caught two dorado. A great lunch. Arriving at Tortuga and setting anchor in 30 feet of water, Ken dove and his guest and I snorkeled. Visibility was greater than 60 feet and the water temperatures were in the 80s with no thermocline at depth.

Early to bed and we fished the next day with no luck. Back early where I unlimbered my Airline hookah rig and ken donned his tank and we went for an absolutely wonderful dive. My new Olympus camera performed beautifully underwater up to 70 feet without a housing. I saw a wide variety of fish but no octopus, scallops or lobster. I believe these have all been decimated by hookah divers from the Baja. Cortez damsel, angel, cabrilla, and even leopard grouper were seen.

A cochito with a winning smile, ready for his closeup

Captain Alejandro (Alex) did all the cooking. This was a first for me and he was an excellent chef. He also cleaned all the fish, refusing my help, also a first.

Damselfish
For our third day I again dove with the hookah (I am a dealer for these fine units in Mexico) and then trolled back to San Carlos landing one medium male dorado. A great trip for all. Good friends and great times in the Sea.

OK, that's it. Next trip to the pool I'm taking my snorkel and getting over my fear of breathing through a tube. Then I'm going to price underwater cameras. This is too much fun to be missed!