Great Food Houston Goes to Pittsburgh

A short visit to the Steel City last weekend taught me that Pittsburgh pride runs deep -- from Steelers to sandwich. And the most talked about sandwich, of course, is the tall stack at Primanti Brothers. We sought out the sandwich joint early Saturday afternoon, looking for a taste of the local.

While the menu is large, your only real choice is the meat. Everything beyond that is pretty much the same: soft Italian bread needlessly drowning in meat, French fries, tomato, and coleslaw. Yup, all right there on one sandwich. It’s a three-hander. Seriously.

I went with the cheesesteak. Bad idea. Mushy and flavorless. The hot pastrami was tasty, as was the corned beef... but methinks I prefer a simpler sammich and cleaner arteries. So I did what any respectable Texan would do: drowned my sandwich sorrows in a 23-ounce Iron City beer. Or four. And continued on my merry way.