Unavoidable Paperwork

I like to think I learn from my mistakes. Last year, for instance, I was a month late renewing my FM-3 annual immigration permit and the stress alone, aside from the fines and complications, had me losing sleep and reeling from nightmares about deportation and huge mordidas. My consultant Miguel walked me through it and all my fears turned out to be absurd, but there was a considerable outlay of cash to imigracion as well as to Miguel. And my hinder was bruised from all the kicking I gave it.


But this year I decided to get an early start. I began depositing $1k a month into my Mexican bank account in June, and carefully saved the receipts, plus I got a statement this month from my friendly banker Oscar. Three months of deposits. Lucky they don't demand 12 months, I don't always have that much lying around.

This morning Miguel stopped by to help me put together a checklist so I'll have all my paperwork ready when I apply. So I dug out my documents, even though my horoscope today said:
Avoid any tasks or chores that involve paperwork or numbers today...
I still have our rental agreement, which I will scan so I don't have to worry about losing it. I have a rent receipt and a utility bill, which I will also scan, so that hopefully I can keep the originals and just hand over the copies. I already have my passport and original FM-3 book scanned, so all I have to do is re-scan the pages that have been stamped since last year, when I left and re-entered the country.

Miguel wrote a letter, or solicitud in Spanish requesting my renewal, which he sent me via email, so I can just update the document from now on. And there's a form called the Hoya de Ayuda I was given last year, which he said I should take along just in case. I looked up "hoya" and my software diccionario said it meant "sand trap" as in golf, while my hardcopy didn't even list the word. I know "ayuda" means "help." A sand trap of help?

Last year I paid Miguel $50 to assist me, but this year I gave him $10 for the letter and consultation. I'm going to try to do it alone. My Spanish is (somewhat) better, I'm not late, I have all the paperwork. Vamos a ver...

Now, if I could only do something about the photo in the FM-3...muy feo!