Bad Brakes, Rattlesnakes and Water Main Breaks

My horoscope today:
Expect little bumps in the road today, as your progress is hampered by tiny obstacles you couldn't have foreseen.
Tiny, eh? It's been a day fraught with frustrations and hazards. Yesterday our water was shut off most of the afternoon, so that we finally gave up on having a shower and went to the hotel pool for a dip in the early evening, very grateful we had that option. Of course, when we got home, the water was back on. Murphy's Law in reverse. At least I could wash the dishes.

But today the water was off again and the weather was especially hot and humid. Before my Spanish class I took a change of clothes and a towel and went back to the hotel for another quick dip. Then I changed in the ladies baƱo and hurried off to Guaymas.

I was already in downtown Guaymas when I came to a stoplight, put my foot on the brake, and the pedal went all the way to the floor before the car stopped! Maldito*! No warning, no sound, suddenly the brakes were barely working. I drove veeeerrrry slooowly the rest of the way to Lolita's house. Brenda, a fellow blogger, who's been faithfully showing up every week for Conversations With Lolita, wisely advised me to check the brake fluid, and it turned out the reservoir had plenty of fluid. So it was some other malfunction.

I joined Brenda and the new English teacher, Richard from Scotland, for coffee and waited until after rush hour, then drove carefully home, noticing that the brakes had improved quite a bit though they were still softer than usual. A mystery...Meanwhile, the Capt had given up on dinner and was helping himself to a big bowl of ice cream. He's in a good mood, having accomplished a major triumph of automotive rehab today. But I'll let him tell it.

He showed me some photos he had taken just before I got home. Yikes! He found a rattlesnake crossing the road in the dark just around the corner from our house, went home and got his camera, came back and the snake was still there. He wasn't sure about the ones he saw Sunday night, but this one had rattles on its tail. One of Zorra's kittens was stalking it, and I was hoping he'd lose interest before the encounter got any closer.


Rattlesnake, illuminated by headlights, with cat-headlights glowing a few feet away

I have to admit, we've been spoiled. I haven't seen a snake since I came to Mexico 2-1/2 years ago! But now the Capt is seeing them every time he goes out after nightfall. And I'm trying not to think about where the snake might have come from and how many hermanos he's got at home.

No, I didn't shoot this, I'd have other things on my mind if I stumbled across these scene.

*Maldito! My diccionario defines this word as either "damn!" or "tarnation!" I'll leave it to you to decide which translation is correct in this case.