Taqueria del Sol

Happy was I to begin the school year anew, and only partially because I teach on the south side of town where there are taco trucks a plenty. I made it all the way to day three of in-service before bolting at lunchtime for my favorite taqueria: Taqueria del Sol.

Seeing how the lunch rush starts darn near breakfast time, finding a quiet time here is next to impossible. My group of four teachers walks in as the day’s only Caucasians, which clearly deters neither us nor them. Ever encouraged by the low prices, we order waaaaaaay too much, and they quickly fill our table with gorgeous plates of flautas, gorditas, quesadillas, and more. Leigh Anne the Adventurous had two equally brilliant gorditas: one de chicharron (cooked pork skin) and one de nopales (grilled cactus). Nancy’s quesadillas and Amanda’s enchiladas received top marks and clean plates as well.

My clear favorite, though, is the torta de barbarcoa, a Mexican sandwich of tender barbecued pork atop a soft, flavorful bun and bursting with lettuce, tomato, guacamole, and sour cream. Try as I might, I cannot tear myself from this dish when I go. It’s got the holy trinity of elements we teacher’s seek in a meal: it’s delicious, it’s huge, and it’s $2.75.

This place is four times better than your regular Mexican joint, and half the price. Service is friendly and helpful. And there’s a bakery attached if you need a little pan dulce post meal. Don’t let the hazardous parking lot scare you away, and don’t forget to try the lemonade. Buen provecho!

Taqueria del Sol - 8114 Park Place Blvd (near Hobby Airport)