Tampico Seafood

I’d heard so much about Tampico Seafood that when I accidentally stumbled up on it during today’s misadventure to the post office, I knew we had to stop in. It was early enough – about 5:00 – so the restaurant was pleasantly crowd-free. Yay!

The server recommended the fried fish plates, so I thought I’d try the shrimp. Somewhere along the way, however, he decided that I should have tilapia, and that’s what showed up instead. Huh. The fried fish was decidedly mediocre, as was the fried rice that came with it. Ho-hum. Next!

Our first highlight was the ceviche tostada, a mass of light and tangy seafood piled high on a crispy tortilla. The crabmeat here was unfailingly fresh, and they added just enough vinegary sauce to tie it all together. A winner, for sure.

What really set our hearts on fire, though, was the grilled snapper, another server recommendation. Our fish came out well seasoned and beautifully cooked with a side of green peppers and sautéed onions. Inside the crispy outer layer, the fish was juicy and fresh. Snapper is what gulf coast seafood’s about, and this version is fantastic... and so pretty! I wish I had remembered to take a picture.

Do not come for the atmosphere. Or the service. Come for the whole grilled snapper.

Tampico - 2115 Airline Drive (near Cavalcade)