New Bells and Whistles

I couldn't resist Nancy's lead and picked up on a new widget, Spanish Vocabulary Word of the Day for my blog. If you aren't interested in Spanish you can get French or Italian, too. Scroll to the bottom of this blog to check it out.

And another feature I may come to regret: the Capt found TV on the Internet. Of course, we knew it was there, but we hadn't actively pursued it. "Come to the Dark Side, Luke" echoed in my head. At least when I'm watching movies on the big-screen TV in the living room, I'm learning some Spanish from the subtitles, so I consider it educational.

But this morning we both downloaded the software for Livestation, which offers TV from all over the world. We can keep track of hurricanes, see viewpoints on world events we'd never find on US broadcasts (Euronews and the BBC), and otherwise torment ourselves viewing disasters all over the planet that we can do nothing about. Oh, and you can get the Discover Channel (which started off with such promise years ago and now seems to following the same sensationalist line as every other station) and Fox TV, about which the less said the better. Be prepared for commercials, though they're clustered better (so you can tune them out, good time to check your email).

Livestation is in Beta, which means there are bugs galore, and the more users who log on the more bandwidth is used up. But I decided to share it with you anyway, dear readers. Please don't think of me as Eve brandishing the apple, it's up to you whether to partake.


What am I watching now? A feature on successful Iranian racecar driver Laleh Sedigh who happens to be a woman, on BBC News. She's winning races and getting the men's undies in a terrible twist.