Dents in My Digits

I can do this. It's only been four decades since I last played guitar, it should all come back to me, right? I don't expect to play like the Capt, but if I learn enough basic chords and a few simple strum patterns I'll at least be able to accompany myself, and widen my choice of songs to include some nobody else wants to learn. My taste in tunes is sometimes a little...um...esoteric. For instance, it would be fun to do Tom Waits' "Cemetery Polka," "Tango 'Til They're Sore" or "Singapore" (a gnarly sailing song).

My two best friends: Chica and the guitar (should I name it too?)

What's different is that I played a classic guitar before, with nylon strings, much easier on the fingertips. This time it's a steel-string Ibanez acoustic with electric pick-up, and I'm going to have to develop some callouses on the left hand. But although it may inflict pain for a while, this guitar is going to have to be my best friend and constant companion if we're going to make music that anyone else can bear to listen to.

Three of my friends have been telling me they want to learn to play, too, and Jesse, a very talented guitarist with thousands of English and Spanish songs stored in his cabeza, is willing to teach us. One of my goals: learn to play Spanish style boleros. My reach is exceeding my grasp, but what's a heaven for?