The Subject Was Cherries

Photo: Royal Anne cherries, by Sue Keith

Day Three of Reading Deprivation Week and for some reason I'm obsessing on food. So I check my email, and here's what I find from my friend Sue in Aloha, OR.
Royal Anne Cherries, on the tree, at 7:30 a.m. by noon, were in jars, ready for the Winter! These are sour, but I made four crisps (freezing cherries for one), and canned 14 quarts! All by noon today. Of course, with John's help! I would still be working on them if he did not help!
If you thought that shelf of canned cherries I pictured yesterday looked delicious, this shot of Royal Annes still on the tree, destined to become cherry crisp, will have you salivating like Pavlov's pups! Ding! Isn't she a fabulous photographer?

Sue also shared her recipe, such a generous soul. I keep telling her she should start a blog of her own, but meanwhile, I'll pass on her photos and inspirations to the rest of the world anytime. Just wish she could send me some of that cherry crisp!
You use fresh fruit, just like you were making a pie...sugar, spices... however you like it. Then, sprinkle a DRY cake mix over it, just covering the fruit. All this is in a flat dish. Then dribble melted butter or margarine over it, not covering it all, but almost, but not so it runs over. Put in the oven at 300 or so, and cook about 45 min. till brown. We like ours brown and crisp. It is so easy, it is neat to do. If I can, I'll take a picture of a "done" one that is in the oven. I do it with apples, rhubarb, cherries, blueberries, and whatever I have. This year I mixed the rhubarb and strawberries.
She wondered what fruit we have here in Mexico. Let's see, last time I looked there was mango, apple, papaya, banana, pineapple. (I bet the pineapple would be best)

What we don't have here are cake mixes.