Housewarming Heaven

I moved into a new house on Tuesday, and my realtor brought over the best possible housewarming gift: a flat of lasagna from Carrabba’s and a vat of bread pudding form Joyce’s. Oh la la!

The original Carrabba’s (on Kirby) is the only one still owned by the Carrabba family, and it is every bit as fabulous as the day it opened. The lasagna was picture perfect with just the right combination of meat, noodle, and ricotta. Hearty and delicious, without feeling overly rich. Sure beats the Sam’s version.

Fine, I admit it. I still like the Sam's lasagna. Just like I still like Kraft mac-and-cheese. They are hard habits to break.

And now? Dessert. Bread pudding ranks as an all-time favorite for me. I love Monica Pope’s. Brennan’s and Ruggles Café sure serve them up nice. And for the love of Pete, don’t you dare add raisins or dried fruit. Yes, my love for bread pudding is intense, but not blind, and I was blown away by the talented version from Joyce’s, a seafood joint on Westheimer. My sweet realtor made a special trip there just to get it, when theoretically, she could have toted a so-so tiramisu from Carrabba’s without dropping the extra coin on gas. Joyce’s bread pudding is a white chocolate number topped with crumbled pecans, and it is heaven on a spoon. Melty, gooey, bready goodness with just the right amount of crunch.

Just a few ideas for the next time it's your turn to host.